Friday, June 1, 2007


Samuel Taylor Coleridge
(1772-1834)
I would first have to say before the reading I had know idea of who this person was let alone what his works were. Now, I am looking him up all over because his style of writing and his since of imagination is still being used today. The best example of this would have to be “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.” I felt if I were reading a modern day pirate story, maybe a pirate story that took place on the Caribbean. That’s right I felt that the most successful pirate franchise to date, Pirates of the Caribbean, was attributed solely to Mr. Coleridge. Let me first say that I am no historian or consider myself a expert on Literature. With that being said I stand next to my notion that the POC are an adaptation of Coleridge’s work. The story that is told to the man approaching a wedding was one that at first caused impatience and then brought curiosity. This mariner had witnessed all types of things on his voyage. From being blown to Antarctica to the middle of the ocean where the water is to salty to drink.
Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink.
(Sounds like the Caribbean) pg. 329

I mean these sailors have been through it all because of their captain Jack Sparrow…… oops I mean the Mariner. There are several other examples that support my comparison. His crew was killed and resurrected by him just to sail the ship. The constant references to the supernatural and such. I also believe that on page 331 lines 195-199, they are playing dice for souls and this was one of the main themes in the sequel to POC. Of coarse most movies are inspired by other forms of art. Now maybe this has been pointed out before but with me I saw it in Samuel’s writings and that is what I liked most about this particular poet.

3 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Antoine,

Interesting connections and comparisons of Coleridge's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and the Pirates of the Carribean movies. I agree with you that Coleridge is a master of imaginative literature, and will concede that the Pirate movies are pretty imaginative at times. I would like you, though, to have contrasted them as well--what makes the poem a great and enduring piece of literature, and not just a sumer blockbuster and popcorn movie? Try in your blog postings to go a little deeper into the texts.

LaDonna said...

that was really interesting Antoine. I never would have those connections. we should talk about poetry with each other sometime. good job

Candice Logan said...

Great interpretations of Coleridge's work and I found your connection to Pirates of the Carribean interesting. I would have never thought of that! I like the way you put a lot of thought into the reading. I really enjoyed reading your blog.